Don’t Let Thieves Drag Down Your Holiday Spirit
A study by Checkpoint Systems shows that holiday shoplifting accounts for about a third of all losses during a retail year. The Retail Holiday Season Global Forecast shows that 37% of a store’s annual shrink loss comes from shoplifting, employee theft, and fraud during the holidays. Oh, we know what you’re thinking, “That’s terrible, but what has it got to do with my business? I don’t sell retail.”
Thieves wait until the most opportune times.
Shoplifting is at an all-time high during the holidays because thieves can blend into larger groups of people and there are not enough eyes to watch every patron. Electronic accessories, electronics in general and other accessories are among the top five items in the most stolen list from Checkpoint. Shoplifters are looking for top dollar items they can sell quickly for a profit or use themselves. Computer equipment has a fantastic resale value on the street as long as it is in good working condition. So, do you see it now?
Shoplifting is easier during the holiday season. Stores are more crowded and businesses are left empty. Thieves are more likely to hit your office when you are closed over the holidays. So, make sure you lock everything up tight and backup your data before you head out the door for your holiday time away. There is nothing worse than a break-in spoiling your vacation and recovering from a theft can be extremely costly. Here is a quick checklist to make sure you’re ready to close the office:
- Notify your security company, IT department, staff and clients of the time away.
- Change the greeting on your phone system.
- Reduce the temp on your thermostats and turn off any office equipment that is not essential for use over the vacation(including printers, monitors, and computers).
- Check your backup data before you go. Make sure you have a full account of your information on file to reduce your exposure to a natural disaster or prying eyes.
If you have any questions, give us a call at 888-837-4466. We’re here to help.
- To show appreciation for our customers, ROC is ...
- The FBI recently released a Public Service Anno...
- People generally decide upon New Year’s resolut...
- A study by Checkpoint Systems shows that holida...
- We’re not suggesting you give things away here,...
- July 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014